Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Quassy Race Report!

  1. This weekend we traveled to CT so that I could race the Rev 3 Quassy 70.3.  I had heard this course is hard and it did not disappoint at all.  I have never raced a Rev 3 event but I will be back for sure.  This location was great for families and the course was indeed challenging and beautiful.

    Photo
    Ryan and the kids stayed at the hotel and my friend Kelly picked me up and we got to transition as it was opening.  I had a ton of friends racing for either the first time or as prep for IMLP...so the morning of the race was a like a little reunion.  I got to see my friend Caroline who is a rockstar and several others while setting up our stuff.  R My goals for Quassy were  simple...to nail my nutrition for IMLP and have a steady day given the heat.  

    The Swim:

    AHH my favorite part and shortest of course.  The lake was beautiful and not super cold but refreshing.  We were the second to last wave so that meant lots of people to swim through.  We swam into the sun so sighting was hard but I managed to get out just under 30 min.   As I was in transition my friend Caroline came through...I knew she would blow by me on the bike as she is a machine and sure enough she did!

    The bike:  

    Holy Climbing....this course is way harder in my opinion than IMLP....there are long slow climbs, short steep climbs, and it seems that all you do is sit up and spin.  I was glad I rode it the week before so I knew what to expect.  There are some fast descents but most come to a screeching halt so your speed does as well

    Add caption
    I burned through 6 bottles on the bike and a various assortment of gels and powerbars.  It was heating up and I was trying not to melt, we have not had any weather yet for heat acclimation.  I rolled into transition in a little under 3:30

    The Run:

    The run starts out rather nice....slow gradual downhill.  My hamstrings and lower back were really tight, which later I was told was because all the climbing prevents you from being in aero very long.  I have not done a ton of climbing like that so it certainly was a different feeling.  After mile 3...in true Quassy fashion the hills start coming...up, up and up some more.  I plugged along and and the miles ticked off.  Kelly met me at mile 9 or 10 and gave me some encouragement..it was hot and I was ready to be done.    The best part of Rev 3 was the let the kids go with you...and mine of course LOVED that...they are just at fun ages to think it was cool.  The had spent the better part of the morning at the water park.  


    Overall, it was my slowest HIM that I have ever done.  The course was more challenging and my goals were really to nail the nutrition and not melt in the heat and that happened.  I was happy with the result and I think it build some confidence for IMLP!  I would love to do this again as I thought REv 3 did a fantastic job!

    Thanks to Ryan...who hauled the kids all over for the weekend.  He did a great job and single parenting is not easy we both know.  Jen and Kelly for your coaching and race day support...I am lucky to have you both!  Heather you have made getting to the start line pain free an option!  

    IMLP....here we go!

No comments: